Sunday, September 29, 2013

Vogue 5782 meets Andy Warhol

Second choice for The Monthly Stitch September’s “Vintage Patterns” challenge is the truly vintage Vogue 5782
You may recall I’ve toiléd a variation of this pattern before. My intentions are to make it up in a very precious piece of vintage wool given to me by my favourite tutor a couple of decades ago, but felt I needed to toilé the whole dress properly first. 
The polished cotton fabric was bought in the August sale at The Fabric Warehouse - the same day I attended the fantastic Andy Warhol:Immortal exhibition at Te Papa. The random splashes of cyan and magenta on otherwise fairly monochromatic grey/olive reminds me of his work.
Two changes were made to the pattern. I moved the zip from centre back to sideseam as I find zips easier to do up at the side, and the neckline is wide enough to slip my head through. It does still need a zip - because - as per the pattern - the waist seam is gathered onto tape cut to my exact waist measurement, and - you know - boobs/bum > waist. The second change was to make the ties into a belt, instead of coming from the side seams. This way I can wear it with other belts.
Probably because of my rusty pattern grading skills I also need to look at my armhole scye, as it seems quite tight this time. The sleeve head has plenty of ease so it should be a fairly easy adjustment to cut the armhole a little larger. And I love this sleeve length! Plus, the pattern has pockets in the sideseams. (Yes, I did put the zip in behind the pocket).
I made a bit of a boo-boo last weekend and bought some more fabric. Never fear, it will become a frock in Froctober! It’s not technically “stashed” if it doesn’t make it into the “stash”, is it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your post over at The Monthly Stitch and had to come over and see the whole thing. I just LOVE this dress, the pattern and the gorgeous fabric are such a good combination. I really love that neckline, going to have to search to see if I can find that pattern online. What do you call that neckline? Maybe if I knew I could look up other patterns that have used it. And, for my Monthly Stitch vintage patterns, I chose the 70s and did a DVF dress and I included a pic of Andy Warhol, you can check here: http://gjeometry.com/2013/10/01/that-70s-dress-diane-von-furstenberg/ How did you like the exhibit? I saw an Andy Warhol exhibit a few years back in Toronto, Canada and it was fantastic. They had the 'screen tests' running and I was so fascinated by them, I could not look away. Just having those folks, some became stars later, and some just regular folks sitting in front of the camera and doing odd things was so intriguing. I was afraid the gallery staff would come by and ask me to leave! lol.

juxtapose nz said...

Thank you so much! I absolutely love the brown DVF dress you made too! The neckline is called a cowl, the whole front is cut on the bias to make it drape like that.
The exhibition was fantastic, yes, I too spent some time watching the screen tests, and bought a "Green Sam" from the gift shop as a treat. http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Green-Sam-c-1956-Posters_i414430_.htm