Monday, October 30, 2017

Simplicity 6068 grey wool houndstooth jacket

Late last year, my mother and I were browsing in an Op Shop and spying a piece of wool jersey, I commented "You don't see fabric like this anymore". Returning home, she disappeared into her sewing room, and reappeared sometime later with a lovely piece of grey houndstooth wool jersey. She can't remember exactly how long she'd had it, but for many years. Would I like it? "Yes please!" I love the kind-of punk fading check pattern.
There was about 1.2 metres (a rough-cut metre), x 1.4m wide, not much more than a skirt length. But it didn't feel like a skirt to me. At first I entertained the idea of making a tunic dress, before settling on a short jacket. From my own stash I pulled Simplicity 6068 a pattern from 1983, but soon realised there wasn't going to be enough fabric even to make that, so I need to get creative.


To achieve the fade from hem upwards, the body pieces had to be cut on the crosswise grain (hem on the selvage), while the sleeves were cut on the lengthwise grain. But there still wasn't enough fabric. I scoured the shops until I found matching grey leather in The Fabric Warehouse and cut a yoke and pocket trims. It was a very tight squeeze, the facings are scraps patched together, and there are virtually no left-overs.


I'm very happy with the results, and as you can see by the rumpled photos, it has been worn a few times already.

4 comments:

eimear said...

nice work - love the simple lines of the jacket. the piecing in of the other fabric looks so well

Lyndle said...

Lovely! Fabric and jacket are beautiful, and you have made the best use of it very cleverly. It looks totally like you planned it that way from the beginning.

Jux said...

Should be in the running for a substainability award, due to lack of wastage. At least a highly commended for an economical lay!

Jux said...

A happy conclusion after quite a bit of head-scratching, I confess. The jacket is very useful at the moment, with the weather in-between seasons, I wear it to work in the morning chill, then chuck in my bag on the way home - being jersey it doesn't crease.